Work on the Metronet Thornlie-Cockburn train line started on September 13 with a big celebration attended by 15 schools from the area.
The $1.5 billion project is expected to reduce traffic congestion and improve access between stations.
The Thornlie-Cockburn link area includes a mix of established and developing suburbs that are experiencing significant population growth and will allow the community to have better public transport alternatives including better access to Optus Stadium.
The project is expected to be finished by 2022 and across a period of 10 years about 245 new train cars will be built in Western Australia.
Minister for Transport Rita Saffioti said technical works had already started on the ground.
“We are also looking to set up some special courses to get more people working on the train lines,” she said.
Member for Thornlie Chris Tallentire said he spent 10 years talking about the need of the extension of Thornlie through to Cockburn.
“It gives you a good idea of the amount of preparation it has taken us to put this big project together,” he said.
“Do enjoy and keep an eye on how this project evolves.”
Member for Jandakot Yaz Mubarakai said the project also involves new technology to reduce noise for the houses closer to the train tracks.
“There will be around seven to eight kilometres of track line removed to add new technology and control noise across suburbs,” he said.
Works are expected to start later this year.