Ron’s guardian angels

Ron’s guardian angels

Ron Spencer, Ctherine Fry and Gina Regali with Ron's dog Long Long. Photograph - Richard Polden

Two local ladies came to the rescue when a Kelmscott man was stuck in hospital unsure of when he could leave, with nobody to look after his dog at home.

Earlier this month, Ron Spencer suffered a stroke and was admitted to Armadale Hospital.

Unsure of when he would be released, Mr Spencer tried to leave the hospital to find a carer for his dog whilst he recovered.

“The doctor told me if I left I could be dead in the morning, but I felt I had little choice as I had a 16 year old German Shepherd and I couldn’t be stuck in hospital,” Mr Spencer said.

“I had suffered a stroke which left me partially blind.”

After searching for a carer and having no luck, Mr Spencer called his vet to see if they could find somebody to care for his dog, Long Long.

Catherine Fry from Railway Avenue Vet answered the call and begun the search to find Long Long a carer.

“I contacted organisations including pets of older people (POOPS) and animal protection society to see if I could find a volunteer,” she said.

“I couldn’t get through to many of the organisations and POOPS no longer fosters or cares for dogs and only walks them.”

After searching, Ms Fry thought of a local lady who had previously volunteered for Animal Protection Society and helped her in a similar situation with a small dog.

Ms Fry found Gina Regali, who was available to look after Long Long for Mr Spencer.

Ms Regali met with Mr Spencer at his home and he introduced her to his dog.

“Ron said it was unusual for Long Long to approach and like people, fortunately having worked with foster animals before I knew I had to wait for the dog to approach me,” said Ms Regali.

“We went out the back to look around and as we were heading back inside, Long Long approached me and sniffed my hand.”

In February last year Ms Regali was diagnosed with a tumour on her ovaries and was subsequently diagnosed with cancer of the uterus.

After finishing chemotherapy in July, Ms Regali said she wants to return to helping animals when she recovers fully.

“As soon as my brain is clear again I’m going to be studying dog behaviour and training,” she said.