Crime Wrap | Suspicious house fire, wild police chases, and violent serial...

Crime Wrap | Suspicious house fire, wild police chases, and violent serial offender jailed

PolAir shot of the man running from the stolen car before being arrested in a nearby garage.

Mustang tears through suburbs to evade police

Detectives from the Rapid Apprehension Squad have charged a man after a wild police chase yesterday.

About 10.15am, police sighted a white Ford Mustang Coupe – which had been allegedly stolen from an address in Bentley earlier in the day – on Palmerston Street in Bentley.

Police activated emergency lights and sirens and conducted a traffic stop on the Ford; however, when officers exited their vehicle, the driver accelerated away and an evade police incident began.

A short time later the evade police incident was abandoned due to the manner of driving.

Following communication with officers on the ground, Police Air Wing monitored the Ford as it travelled through Bentley, St James, Carlisle, Welshpool, South Guildford and Queens Park, before it was eventually abandoned on Crawford Street in East Cannington.

The male driver fled the scene; however, he was located and arrested inside the garage of a home a short distance away on Redcliffe Street.

The 26-year-old Mullewa man was charged with reckless driving to escape pursuit by police, Driver of a vehicle failed to comply with a direction to stop (circumstance of aggravation), Steal motor vehicle and drive recklessly, possession of stolen or unlawfully obtained property, no authority to drive (licence never held).

He is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court today.

Man jailed after breaching Family Violence order

By Mel Dee

A repeat family violence offender will spend the next six weeks in prison after his appeal for bail was rejected.

Gary Hillary Kieth Lamb was arrested on Wednesday last week after breaching a Family Violence Restraining Order less than two months after receiving a 12-month suspended prison sentence.

Mr Lamb was given the suspended sentence on January 15 at the Armadale Magistrates Court for repeatedly assaulting, and strangling his partner in front of his three children at the family home in Maddington in December.

At the time, police recommended against a suspended sentence based on the seriousness of the offences.

But Magistrate Brian Mahon handed down the suspended sentence in good faith after Mr Lamb broke down in court, claiming that he had used his time in prison since his December arrest as a “period of rehabilitation”.

He was brought back before Magistrate Mahon in Armadale last Thursday after police arrested him the day before for abusing and intimidating his partner at the same address. One of his children recorded the ordeal on their tablet.

Mr Lamb’s lawyer said he had been invited to return home.

She asked for bail to be considered for her client as he was currently in the process of moving to Katanning and that being “physically removed would go towards easing any risk of reoffending”.

But Magistrate Mahon was not so lenient this time around, pointing to Mr Lamb’s “history of breaching orders”.

“The stakes are high here. Mr Lamb’s own behaviour has shown there are no conditions available that would ensure safety of the protected person, and prevent reoffending,” he said.

Magistrate Mahon refused the request for bail, and directed Mr Lamb to enter pleas at his next court appearance on April 18.

The police prosecutor also advised that WA Police would be seeking a Serial Family Violence Offender Declaration.

Girls airlifted to hospital after crash

Officers from the Major Crash Investigation Section are appealing for information about a serious crash which occurred in Karnup on Friday.

About 6.20pm, a red Hyundai Accent sedan – travelling south on Mandurah Road – and a black Nissan Dualis sedan – travelling east on Stakehill Road – were involved in a collision.

The driver and rear passenger of the Hyundai – both 17-year-old girls – were airlifted to Royal Perth Hospital for treatment.

The front passenger – also a 17-year-old girl – was taken to Fiona Stanley Hospital by St John WA for treatment.

The 38-year-old female driver of the Nissan was uninjured.

Major Crash investigators are appealing for any witnesses to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report the information online at

Second Piara Waters man charged after festival assault

Police have now released CCTV footage of the third man they are looking for in relation to the serious assault.

Midland Detectives have charged a second person in relation to a serious assault that occurred at a cultural festival in Wattle Grove in October last year.

About 8.30pm on Saturday, October 21, two groups of people attending the Diwali Mela festival at the Abruzzo Molise Sporting Club started to brawl in an area between the clubhouse and the playground.

During the melee, a 22-year-old man was struck to the head with a metal object, believed to be a pole.

The man received a skull fracture and was taken by St John WA to Royal Perth Hospital.

Earlier, a 38-year-old man from Piara Waters was charged with one count of ‘To cause fear that someone will be injured/disabled’.

Then on Wednesday last week a second 38-year-old man – also from Piara Waters – was charged with ‘Unlawful act or omission with intent to harm (endangering life, health or safety of any person)’.

As inquiries continue, detectives have released CCTV vision of a third man who may be able to assist with the investigation.

Anyone with information in relation to the identity of the man pictured is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via

Brookdale fire suspicious

Armadale Detectives are seeking information from the public about a suspicious house fire in Brookdale last month.

About 8.30pm on Sunday, 11 February, emergency services were called to a residence on Grafham Road where they found the front patio of the home on fire.

The fire caused an estimated $59,000 damage to the home and the cause of the fire is being treated as suspicious.

Detectives want to speak to anyone who saw any suspicious persons, vehicles or activity in the area around the time of the fire. Anyone with any information relating to this fire is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via

Rewards of up to $25,000 are available for information that leads to the identification and conviction of an arsonist.

Man takes police on wild pursuit through southeast

Detectives from the Rapid Apprehension Squad have charged a 29-year-old man following a pursuit through Canning Vale.

About 6.40pm last Thursday, police sighted a stolen Subaru Forrester station wagon travelling south-east on Amherst Road in Canning Vale.

Police activated emergency lights and sirens, and it will be alleged the accused failed to stop.

He continued to evade police for more than 20-minutes driving recklessly through the suburbs of Canning Vale, Thornlie, Langford, Cannington, Bentley and Queens Park.

The stolen vehicle was abandoned in the carpark of a shopping centre on Albany Highway in Cannington, and the accused fled on foot.

Officers from Canning Vale Police Station gave chase and apprehended the accused a short distance away from the shopping centre.

It will be alleged the accused collided with two civilian vehicles during the incident.

The 29-year-old Lockridge man has been charged with: 1 x Steal Motor Vehicle and Drive Recklessly 1 x Reckless Driving to Escape Pursuit by Police 1 x Driver of a Vehicle Failed to Comply with a Direction to Stop (Circumstance of Aggravation) 1 x No Authority to Drive (Never Held) 2 x Driver Fail to Stop – Property Damage 1 x Give False Personal Details to Police 3 x Stealing.

He was due to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court last Friday.