Rough game for city

Rough game for city

Gosnells City were defeated by a much stronger Bunbury side. Photograph – Juanita Shepherd.

Gosnells City played South West Phoenix in a tense match at the Walter Padbury Reserve in Thornlie last Saturday.

From the moment the referee blew his whistle signalling kick off at 3pm Gosnells City began to attack the Bunbury team.

Despite their best efforts, Gosnells City lost the game 2-1 and in the process lost vital league points.

The home team gave it their all but instead of penetrating the Phoenix’s defences found themselves having to force them back from the goal.

The South West Phoenix just seemed unstoppable working together as a tight unit and creating multiple opportunities to score, while Gosnells worked harder to keep them from scoring.

In the end, just before half time South West Phoenix striker Lee Stewart scored.

It was an easy goal, almost one on one between the player and goalie.

Stewart saw an opportunity and didn’t waste it, kicking the ball neatly into the goal.

Gosnells were determined to equalise but it just wasn’t their day.

Although they succeeded in creating numerous opportunities, they just could not score.

There was a spectacular moment when Gosnells players perfectly passed to one another easily avoiding South West Phoenix defenders, they made it into the box, the fans were on the edge of their seats as the ball went sailing into what looked like the goal but instead the South West Phoenix goalie saved it at the last minute.

Spurred on by this ‘almost goal,’ Gosnells City played hard but did not manage to regain their footing in the first half.

The second half saw Gosnells City come back with a fighting spirit but they failed to take the lead.

It seemed promising when Gosnells City right back Jett Shaw’s corner resulted in a goal but South West Phoenix took the lead when their centre midfielder Corey Barclay scored.

Gosnells City head coach Alan Dunlop said in the first half the Bunbury team were really good.

“We didn’t start as well as we wanted to,” he said.

“We came out a lot more positive in the second half but unfortunately the goals went against us.”

Mr Dunlop said the team fought hard and said in the second half they were excellent and a lot more confident.

South West Phoenix coach Mauro Marchione said after three weeks of loosing in a row it was great to come away with a win.

Gosnells City play Canning City in the highly anticipated Frank Longstaff Cup on July 3 at Burrendah Reserve at 3pm.