Police search house

Police search house

: Police and forensic officers as part of Operation Macro investigating the former home of alleged Claremont Killer in Huntingdale. Photograph – Kelly Pilgrim-Byrne.

The arrest of former Huntingdale resident Bradley Robert Edwards in late December marked a significant breakthrough in the long running police investigation of Claremont abductions and murders in the 1990s.

As part of Operation Macro police and forensic officers arrived at Mr Edwards’ former home in Huntingdale on Wednesday afternoon.

They worked in the backyard and carried a ladder through the house as part of their ongoing inquiries into the case.

A police spokeswoman said they would not be making any comments.

The current owner of the Huntingdale home said she was in Sydney at the time of Mr Edwards’ arrest and was not aware of it until she arrived home.

“I’ve been hounded by the media and the public,” she said.

“It is macabre, people have knocked on my door at two in the morning, they slow down in their cars as they drive past.

“I need my privacy.”

The woman said she did not care for the case but as a mother she felt for the victims’ parents.

The alleged Claremont serial killer Mr Edwards was charged on December 23 with the 1996 murder of Jane Rimmer and the 1997 murder of Ciara Glennon.

He was also charged with two sexual assaults in Perth that allegedly occurred in 1988 and 1995.

The woman said she hoped the families of the victims would find peace.

“I can’t imagine what they are going through,” she said.

“I hope they find some closure.”

Photographer who worked on the original case and Roleystone resident Tony McDonough echoed the woman’s views.

“I’m a parent myself and really hope the parents of these girls find some closure with the arrest of this man (Bradley Edwards),” he said.

Mr McDonough said he hoped police had arrested the correct man referring to the original case when a junior officer of the West Australian public service was suspected of being the Claremont Killer.

“It was awful,” he said.

“The poor guy who was suspected was practically hung, drawn and quartered.

“I remember the case so well, everyone was talking about it there were a lot of rumours going around and it was a very tense time.”

Mr McDonough said he hoped the arrest of Mr Edwards was a closing chapter in WA’s history.

“I don’t know yet if I’m going to go along to court as a member of the public,” he said.

“I might, just so I can get some closure from this as well.”

Mr Edwards was set to appear at the Stirling Gardens Magistrate Court on January 25.