Members of the Leeming community have assisted a local family who lost almost everything in a devastating house fire late last week.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services crews fought to extinguish a blaze in Wildwood Heights, near Casserly Drive, on October 16.
Ripping through the premises, the fire caused an estimated $400,000 in damages.
The home’s owners, Bill and Neddie Hewitt, have since been inundated with support from neighbours, friends, and family members.
“My mum is devastated, whereas I think my dad is trying to be a bit more upbeat…he’s just trying to get on with it,” Jeff Hewitt, the eldest of the Hewitts’ four children, said.
“There is a lot to be grateful for, but we have obviously suffered a huge loss – We have lost a lifetime of memories, photos, irreplaceable items etc.”
Jeff and his siblings quickly set up a GoFundMe page, which has raised more than $16,000 so far.
“We have been moved by the outpouring of community support,” Jeff said.
“So far, there has been one anonymous donation of $5000 and a couple of anonymous donations of $2000 each.
“They [my parents] are very nice, generous people – They’ve been generous to others their whole lives.
“As their son, it’s really nice to see that generosity being reciprocated tenfold.
“My parents have a lot of friends and family members who love them, and want to help them.”
Head to gofundme.com/f/help-the-hewitts-emergency-fire-relief-fund to find out more or to make a donation.