Roleystone rampage

Roleystone rampage

Honey’s Bakery employee Terri Murray with shop owner Brent Honey and Detective Constables Vicky Saywell and Jim Rapkins. Several Roleystone shops were damaged on Sunday evening after two men and a teenager went on a violent rampage. Photograph - Aaron Van Rongen.

Police charged three men after a violent rampage in Roleystone last weekend during which an off-duty police officer was beaten and several shop fronts were smashed.

It was alleged about 9.20pm on May 28 Tyrone Marcus Lee Collard, Warren James Punch and a 16-year-old boy began acting aggressively in the Roleystone shops precinct in Jarrah Road.

The three men were alleged to have assaulted an off-duty police officer who chased them after an altercation with another man at a United service station.

After witnessing the suspects harassing a fuel tanker driver and attempting to enter the service station the officer was believed to have called for support before he began pursuing the men.

It was during this time police alleged he was seriously assaulted.

Security vision shows the man chasing the suspects from the service station but he was seen staggering back from the same direction shortly after.

He was taken to Royal Perth Hospital where he was being treated for injuries.

WA Police Union president George Tillbury said the attack was a vicious, cowardly assault and the officer could have died from his injuries.

“Our member sustained serious injuries which include a fractured jaw in two places, separation of his top jaw, a broken nose, a fractured eye socket, chipped and displaced teeth, severe bruising and lacerations,” he said.

“Not even his family could identify him.”

The assault occurred after the suspects had already raided a bakery in the area and smashed the front door of a bank.

Allegedly the men kicked open the doors of Honey’s Bakery and tried to steal money from the cash register.

One of the men threw the machine to the floor to break it open but no money had been left inside.

The same man took a charity donation tin for Crohn’s & Colitis Australia from under the counter before running to the nearby bank branch.

The group smashed the glass panel on the front door of the Bendigo Bank but did not enter the building.

That was when they made their way toward the service station and attacked the fuel truck driver and assaulted the officer.

Honey’s Bakery owner Brent Honey said he was surprised to hear about the incident because it was unusual to see people walking around the area after dark.

Mr Honey purchased the shop one year ago and had not heard of any similar incidents in the area.

He said the shop was collateral damage in the rampage and attention should be given to the truck driver and police officer assaulted on the night.

“We’re thankful to all the police and the truck driver from the night,” he said.

“They’re the ones who have done all the work, we just got our door kicked in.”

According to Mr Honey the officer who was assaulted was popular in the area and had been getting regular praise since the incident.

Mr Collard and Mr Punch appeared in the Armadale Magistrates Court on Tuesday and were remanded in custody to appear on June 20.

The 16-year-old boy appeared before the Perth Children’s Court on Tuesday.