Fire damages local reptile centre

Fire damages local reptile centre

210
Armadale Fire and Rescue Service crew member Ben De Jong with one of the rescued reptiles. Photograph — Richard Polden.

Dozens of animals of all shapes and sizes were evacuated from a local reptile centre last week after the centre’s solar panels caught fire. 

The fire at Armadale Reptile Centre in Wungong was first reported to authorities at 12.27pm on August 21.

Crews from Maddington, Canning Vale, Armadale and Murdoch attended the blaze, along with the City of Armadale ranger service who assisted with the evacuation of the animals. 

The cause of the blaze was deemed accidental and it was estimated there was about $30,000 worth of damage.

The fire is believed to have started in the solar panels. Photograph – Richard Polden.

Vet nurse and supervisor Kristy Gaikhorst said the animals were the first priority during the incident. 

“We have about 300 animals in the centre and about 100 animals could have been tragically taken had the fire taken off, “ she said. 

“Thank you so much to Armadale station officer Paul and his platoon for their quick response and actions in making our animals safe. 

“Thank you also to our wonderful volunteers who helped and our friends who offered assistance to us and our animals.” 

The centre was closed to the public last Thursday, however it was reopened just two days later on August 23.