Threats received by school labelled as “a hacking incident” by Rossmoyne principal

Threats received by school labelled as “a hacking incident” by Rossmoyne principal

490
Rossmoyne Senior High School Principal Alan Brown emailed the school community to let them know police do not hold any safety concerns for students, teachers and the broader community.

Police raided Rossmoyne Senior High School on Tuesday after online threats were made about the school where a 16-year-old boy was shot dead by police.

The teen stabbed a man in the Willetton Bunnings carpark about 10.15pm on Saturday, with police shooting the boy after they were unable to stop him with Tasers.

The man remains at Royal Perth Hospital in a stable condition.

A WA Police spokesperson said they were investigating the threats that appeared to be vexatious and not made by the sender.

Rossmoyne Senior High School Principal Alan Brown described them as a hoax.

“Police do not have any concerns for the safety of the students, teachers and the broader community, and WA Police continue to work with the Department of Education to identify the source of the messages,” a police spokesperson said.

Mr Brown emailed students and parents saying the messages were the result of a “hacking incident” and that there was no risk to students.

“Police do not have any concerns for the safety of the students, teachers, and the broader community, and WA police continue to work with the Department of Education to identify the source of the messages,” he wrote.

One parent, upon leaving a meeting with the principal at the school, told reporters authorities would not tell parents if other youths that are part of a group of known extremists attended the school or where they were located.

“The Department of Education will not give out that information,” she said.

The parent said they had been told the school had done everything it could to ensure students’ safety and that it was “no concern” that the student had remained at the school after he detonated a homemade bomb that destroyed a toilet block.

“We had a known extremist that brought a bomb to school,” she said.

“They knew he was an extremist before the bomb, he had been an extremist in a program for about four years now, the bomb happened last year.”

She said students at the high school and other schools nearby felt scared, and if authorities were to wait until something happened to act, it would be too late.