Colts prove their mettle in Cup playoff

Colts prove their mettle in Cup playoff

The mighty Masters squad. One highlight was a half century for Steve Warchomij in game 3, unbeaten on 53 (55) against NSCCA. Photograph – SMCA.

The CricketWest Belt up Association Cup kicked off last weekend with three rounds over two days at Charles Veryard Reserve and Murdoch Oval.

With the South Metropolitan Cricket Association’s Colts clinching victory from the jaws of the mighty West Australian Suburban Turf Cricket Association (WASTCA) last year, the hopes of back-to-back wins weighed heavily on the shoulders of captain Jackson Edgar (CBC) and vice-captain Tom Harris (Canning Vale).

On Saturday the SMCA Colts made mincemeat of the Perth Swan Cricket Association in Round 1, clearing the 105 target in just 13 overs, and with eight wickets to spare.

Kenwick’s Colby Schokker was a standout bowler for the Colts, taking two wickets (both lbw) and conceding 15 runs from three overs.

While Canning Vale’s Tom Harris showed his form, also with two wickets (one bowled out, one run out) and conceding 17 runs from four overs.

Captain Jackson Edgar took two catches, and Roleystone-Karragullen’s Ben Winchcombe took another.

But the WASTCA Colts came out firing on Sunday against our boys, winning the toss and electing to bowl.

The SMCA side were all out for 90, with one-and-a-half overs remaining. WASTCA easily made the target in just over 17 overs and with five wickets remaining – hopes of defending the title deflating a little.

But the Colts dusted themselves off for a 3pm Round 3 against the North Suburban Community Cricket Association.

SMCA won the toss and elected to bowl in order to chase a target – a tactic that held them in good stead.

SMCA managed to topple eight wickets, but NSCCA held out to finish their 20 overs with a score to beat of 120.

The boys from Phoenix took a starring role, with Lewis Beaumont taking two catches, and Jake Back also taking a catch, and a run out.

The pair also shared the credit for another run out.

After a stellar fielding performance, Lewis Beaumont outdid himself again with a bat in his hand.

He put 86 runs on the board from 60 balls in his partnership with Nathan Boyle (25 N.O.) before being felled by an lbw, but ensuring an easy win for his team.

The two wins secured the Colts’ passage into the grand finals this Sunday (2.30pm) at the Swan Valley Sports Club.

With WASTCA losing their steam at the end of the day, going down to PSCA in Round 3, they go into the grand finals on an even keel against our boys, with two wins apiece.

Roleystone-Karragullen’s Steven Greaves took the helm of the veterans (Masters) again, working hard to ensure a quality team took to the field.

Meanwhile the seniors, captained by Nick Bailey, were keen to test their luck this year after missing out on last year’s final on Net Run Rate, despite winning two of their three matches.

Unfortunately, the dream of making the grand final was over before it began for both Masters and Seniors after both teams had back-to-back defeats on Saturday.